The Fujie E-Traverse Basic + is a sporty hybrid that might work nicely in a variety of circumstances and environments… largely city, with some exhausting packed path or gravel adventures in between. It comes with a blended tire that feels easy on pavement however affords sufficient grip to carry out on dusty and semi-loose terrain, and the tires are proper in between environment friendly slim and large consolation. That is an ebike that’s bought in a formidable eight completely different body sizes, between the standard diamond high-step and extra approachable, however nonetheless sporty and stiff, mid-step. It makes use of a really confirmed drive system from Bosch however opts for the cheaper, much less zippy configuration, that may lengthen vary and can produce much less noise. For me personally, there’s nothing particularly thrilling or novel about this electrical bicycle… nevertheless it’s very stable when it comes to the elements used, just like the 9-speed Shimano Deore cassette and derailleur and the Tektro hydraulic disc brakes. It comes virtually feature-complete, that means you actually don’t have to purchase extras as a way to use it within the rain or at night time. I say virtually, as a result of the one factor it’s missing is a rear rack. Nevertheless, the body has threaded eyelets on the seat stays so you can simply connect your individual aftermarket. The draw back right here is that it’s important to pay additional for a rack, alter it to suit completely, after which attempt to relocate the rear mild or get a further impartial mild to make use of on the rear of the rack as a result of a left pannier may block the prevailing mild. I really like that Fuji contains lights in any respect, and the fenders are nice, and the mini chain guard is implausible. The one factor that actually appears like an oversight is the shortage of bottle cage bosses. There’s clearly room for them on the bigger high-step frames as proven within the photos and video evaluate above. Why Fuji skipped this can be a thriller to me as a result of everybody wants water, and many individuals benefit from the comfort of bringing a folding lock or a mini pump with out shopping for a saddle bag or carrying a backpack. This evaluate goes up a bit of bit late within the 2017 season and Fuji is refining their fashions for 2018 and past. They weren’t tremendous responsive after I reached out about partnering for this evaluate (I request that firms assist to fund my journey and motels to maintain this evaluate website potential and I prioritize the work for firms that do).
The motor on this bike is a primary technology Bosch Energetic Line that appears similar to the Bosch Efficiency Line and has been fully overhauled for 2018. The brand new motor makes use of a extra historically sized chainring, eliminating the two.5x discount gear and smaller proprietary chainring. It’s lighter and extra compact, presumably additionally quieter, however there’s nothing incorrect with the primary gen motor used right here. I like how Fuji matched their silver paint and stickers to mix with the battery, show, button pad, and this motor casing. It seems good, however the motor isn’t tipped up or built-in in such a flowery means as you may see on Haibike, Bulls, and different premium ebike fashions. The motor measures rear wheel pace, pedal cadence, and pedal torque 1,000+ instances per second. It makes use of software program to reply and ease-off when it senses derailleur pressure and thus, cut back gear mashing and drivetrain put on. The design is confirmed, extraordinarily dependable, and I recognize how it’s positioned on the body, low and middle for stability. Utilizing a mid-motor permits bicycle firms to recycle the design and elements for each wheels, preserving fast launch on this case, for simpler upkeep and transport. And since the E-Traverse Basic + comes with a higher-end 9-speed gearing setup, you possibly can pedal it comfortably at a spread of speeds, even unpowered. Word nonetheless, that the shifter mechanism is a bit easier and cheaper than the derailleur and doesn’t have two-way motion on the excessive button.
Powering the E-Traverse is an ordinary Bosch Powerpack 400. It’s compact, comparatively light-weight at simply ~5.5 lbs, and so nicely thought out that the brand new Powerpack 500 could be swapped in, utilizing the identical mounting level on the body! Each batteries have a tough plastic shell with built-in 5-LED cost indicator, a giant rectangular loop on the high for safe lifting and carrying, and a metallic ledge that interfaces with the body mount for greater safety and power. Similar to the motor, this battery pack retains weight distributed low and middle throughout the body. It’s so low in reality, that you can grasp the bike body off of many automobile and bus racks utilizing the highest tube. I normally advocate eradicating batteries earlier than lifting or transporting e-bikes to scale back weight, however weighing in at 49.3 lbs, even with the entire fenders and lights, this bike is barely beneath common when it comes to weight. The battery is straightforward to cost whether or not left on or taken off of the bike, and this helps many commuting conditions. It’s greatest to retailer Lithium-ion batteries in cool, dry places… however not excessive chilly or warmth. I discover that the majority firms ship batteries at or simply beneath 50% full, and I believe this reduces stress on the cells and helps them to remain more healthy when not in use. All issues thought of, this can be a nice battery pack despite the fact that it’s not the most recent and best. It is among the compromises that Fuji in all probability thought of when making an attempt to maintain the worth of the bike down (together with the spring suspension fork, smaller 160 mm disc brakes, and no rack).
Working the E Traverse Basic Plus is snug and intuitive, but additionally very wealthy. As soon as the battery has been charged and mounted to the body (ensure you hear it click on and verify that the pack is absolutely safe), you simply press the facility button on the left facet of the big Bosch Intuvia show panel. It blinks to life in a short time and the grayscale LCD has a faint blue glow if you happen to’re in dimly lit circumstances. It’s at all times backlit, however the bicycle lights gained’t activate until you press the sunshine icon on the decrease proper nook of the show. Different buttons which are truly constructed into the show console are reset (which clears the journey meter) and an i button (which cycles by journey stats). You possibly can maintain reset and that i to enter into the settings menu and alter models, brightness, verify software program model and many others. and the i button is duplicated on the left button pad… which is the place many of the motion occurs! This button pad is inside attain of the left grip and could be interacted with utilizing your thumb as you concurrently maintain and brake, it doesn’t compromise your hand place. The plus and minus keys will let you cycle by 4 ranges of help, or flip it fully off. In off mode, the show nonetheless tracks your pace, vary, and lets you run the lights. With the Bosch Energetic Line motors, I are likely to arrow as much as the upper ranges of help for testing and critiques, however the decrease ranges can nonetheless be very satisfying, produce a lot much less noise, and can principally take the sting off of the added weight of the ebike in comparison with a non-electric bicycle. Within the Eco and Tour decrease modes, the bike can get 60+ miles if you happen to journey on easy packed terrain and aren’t carrying an particularly heavy load or climbing plenty of hills. It’s fairly superb. And, I really like that the show is detachable for secure holding, the dock can be utilized with the COBI sensible system (which accepts cell phones for GPS and readouts) and that the inventory Intuvia has a Micro-USB port for charging your cellphone along with working the show if you’d like. It’s simply such an ideal design in my view and the button pad feels pure and intuitive even if you happen to can’t look down at it. You’re feeling little clicks, you’re feeling the rubber half-circle i button within the center, it simply works.
On the finish of the day, this can be a purpose-built ebike made by an organization that appears to goal for mid-level worth. They weren’t the primary firm to carry a Bosch drive system into the USA however they’ve made one thing distinctive and targeted with the E-Traverse Basic +, it’s one of many few fashions I’ve seen with the older Energetic Line motor. I really feel that the worth is a bit excessive in comparison with the competing choices in the marketplace that largely run the Bosch Efficiency Line Cruise motor, and I do want that it had a rack. And, I might in all probability swap the prevailing inflexible seat put up with a suspension put up to easy out the longer comparatively sooner rides that e-bikes assist. It’s good to see that they selected rims with reinforcement eyelets, opted for tires which have puncture safety linings, and that they left stroll mode enabled on the show. I used to be intrigued to see these bikes at Motostrano in Redwood Metropolis, California as a result of I had not seen them wherever else within the USA. Motostrano tends to import distinctive stuff from Europe and allowed me to take this mannequin and one different Fuji out for a journey across the neighborhood. Sorry I didn’t dig too deeply into the entire readouts and settings of the Intuvia show on digicam, you possibly can see that on virtually all of my different ebike critiques that use Bosch. I welcome your suggestions and testimonials for this product and Fuji as an organization and I want you nicely 🙂
- Glorious weight distribution with the centerdrive motor and downtube-mounted battery pack positioned low and middle on the body
- The Bosch Energetic Line motor is barely lighter, much less zippy, and extra environment friendly than among the Bosch Efficiency Line fashions, it ought to go additional per cost despite the fact that this bike makes use of the bottom Powerpack 400 vs. the brand new Powerpack 500 which could enable the worth to be decrease right here
- My favourite Bosch show within the US is the Intuvia as a result of it’s detachable, has an adjustable angle (to scale back glare), is massive and simple to learn, has an built-in Micr-USB port for charging equipment, and a distant button pad that’s simple to achieve and use whereas driving!
- It’s good when city oriented ebikes like this include matching fenders and a great kickstand, even if you happen to determine to take away them, the SKS fenders right here provide nice protection (together with the plastic chain cowl) and the kickstand is positioned out of the best way of the left crank arm and could be prolonged or shortened to stabilize the bike
- This can be a purpose-built electrical bike with internally routed shifter, brake, and electrical cables that gained’t get snagged as simply and don’t muddle up the look
- It seems that you can mount a cargo rack to the again finish of this bike to be used in commuting conditions, I like that Fuji included the bosses right here so that you’ve got extra selections of racks and find yourself with one thing extra steady than a seat put up mounted beam rack
- The Shimano Deore 9-speed cassette and derailleur setup listed below are above common and may shift crisply and keep true longer between service than what I see on lots of different cheaper ebikes, it supplies good vary for climbing or hitting or exceeding the 20 mph high assisted pace, in addition to climbing
- Very good ergonomic grips that lock and gained’t twist if you happen to actually bear down, I additionally just like the outsized alloy platform pedals with grippy metallic nubs vs. smaller cage fashion pedals or low cost plastic pedals
- Good tires, it could nice if they’d reflective sidewalls however at the very least they arrive with PHALANX puncture safety lining and have a hybrid tread for sustaining traction on gravel and packed filth trails if you happen to wish to discover brief off-road sections
- The physique place on this bike is a little more lively and aerodynamic with the longer stem, the body is stiff and responsive however is available in high-step and mid-step to suit completely different rider physique varieties, I like that it has suspension to type of take the sting off because you is likely to be leaning ahead extra, you can swap the inflexible seat put up out for a 30.9 mm suspension put up like this, and you’ll lock the suspension out for optimum effectivity
- The bike seems good, it’s neat how they selected a gray coloration scheme that permits the battery pack, motor casing, and show to mix in and have chosen graphics and accents that embody the body, fork, and rims
- Each wheels have fast launch skewers making them simpler to take away for service, storage, or to scale back weight if it’s important to carry it up stairs or one thing (identical with the battery being detachable)
- The battery pack could be charged on or off the bike, has an built-in loop fashion deal with for safe lifting and carrying, and I like that the charger delivers 4 Amps for fast filling vs. simply 2 Amps on lots of different chargers
- For individuals who already personal a Bosch powered electrical bike or simply wish to improve to the bigger battery sometime, each the Powerpack 400 and 500 use the identical mounting interface and have the identical battery casing dimensions
- Regardless of there being loads of room in the primary triangle of the body, Fuji didn’t add bottle cage bosses to the seat tube or underside of the highest tube… these could be very helpful for bringing fluids or attaching a folding lock or mini pump
- The primary technology Bosch Energetic Line motors use a discount gear just like the Bosch Efficiency Line motors, so the chainring spins 2.5 instances for each crank revolution which crates a little bit of friction and drag when pedaling, it’s not a lot nevertheless it’s truthful to rely this as a con
- Priced at $2.8k, this bike is just a bit of bit cheaper than competing fashions which use the zippier Bosch Efficiency Line motors, it’s not as sporty or satisfying to journey however at the very least it comes with plenty of equipment to be “feature complete”
- Minor criticism right here, however the headlight is mounted to the suspension fork bridge and can bounce up and down extra in comparison with if it was connected to the pinnacle tube or handlebars and “suspended”
- Official Web site: http://www.fujibikes.com/usa/bikes/electric/cross-terrain/e-traverse/e-traverse-classic-plus
- Extra Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/UloNN9l0IiA6zPon2