You’d be stunned to find what you are able to do with GIMP, the free picture modifying program. This downloadable software program can assist you create spectacular images by permitting you to edit tiny particulars, right shade, or just change your image’s background.
However what when you’ve got each Adobe Photoshop, the picture modifying chief, and GIMP? Do you even want Photoshop when you’ve got GIMP? If you happen to’re already used to creating issues with GIMP software program, possibly not. However the excellent news is which you could make your GIMP person interface look nearly like Photoshop.
This text will present you the best way to make a couple of tweaks to this system and set up a brand new interface that offers GIMP a real Photoshop really feel.
Find out how to Make GIMP Look Like Photoshop on Home windows
Though GIMP was beforehand solely obtainable for Linux customers, now you can take pleasure in it on Home windows computer systems, as nicely. If you happen to’re used to Photoshop, chances are you’ll want a while to regulate to the GIMP interface. Fortunately, you may make it look and work identical to the preferred picture modifying program, Photoshop.
Right here’s what it’s essential do.
- Obtain GIMP in your pc in case you don’t have already got it. If you happen to do, you possibly can nonetheless exchange it with the newest model, which is 2.10. You’ll possible have extra choices with it than with an older model.
- If you wish to proceed with an older version of this program, press the “Windows” key in your pc after which the “R” key. When the “Run” dialog field opens, enter “%UserProfile%” and press the “Enter” key.
- Within the new window, discover a folder named “.gimp-2.8.” and provides it a brand new identify – “.gimp-2.8.old.” That may mean you can run the Photoshop tweaks for this program that you just’ll later obtain.
- You’ll be able to go to this hyperlink to obtain the mandatory recordsdata and extract the “.gimp-2.8” folder to maneuver it to the “User Profile” folder the place you renamed the outdated GIMP file.
- Relaunch GIMP. This time, it’ll load the recordsdata from the newly downloaded folder. It’s going to now look extra like Photoshop.
If at any level you want to use the earlier model of GIMP, merely reverse the steps. Erase the tweaks out of your pc and provides again the outdated title to the renamed GIMP file within the “User Profile.”
Find out how to Make GIMP Look Like Photoshop on Linux
If you happen to’re a Linux person, right here’s what it is best to do to make GIMP look extra like Photoshop in older variations of GIMP. It’s really a set of some easy steps to make GIMP extra accessible for first-time customers.
- Arrange the single-window interface. You are able to do it by clicking on the “Windows” tab within the toolbar on the high after which checking the “Single-Window” possibility.
- Choose the darkish theme. If you wish to make GIMP look extra like Photoshop, selecting the darkish theme as a substitute of the sunshine (which is the default one) might make issues higher.
- Arrange the keyboard shortcuts you already know. If you happen to’re used to the keyboard shortcuts, you possibly can obtain the pack and exchange the present GIMP pack with the one you’ve simply downloaded. Bear in mind that you just’ll have to reboot GIMP to use the modifications.
Be aware: In case you have the two.10 GIMP version, take a look at the sections under to discover ways to make it appear like Photoshop in Linux.
Find out how to Make GIMP Look Like Photoshop on Mac
In case you have a Mac and also you’re utilizing an older model of GIMP, keep in mind that this software program’s configuration recordsdata are saved on this location: “~/Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.8”. Which means you possibly can obtain the Photoshop shortcuts and exchange the unique GIMP ones inside the configuration folder, simply as in Linux.
You can even strive different hacks, like making the “Move” device function just like the one in Photoshop. Simply comply with these steps:
- Navigate to the panel on the left and click on on the “Move Tool”.
- Verify the “Move the Active Layer” possibility within the “Tool Options” dialog window.
- Go to the primary menu and click on on “Edit.”
- Choose “Preferences” after which “Tool Options.”
- From there, select “Save Tool Options Now.”
- Shut GIMP and restart it to use the brand new settings.
Find out how to Make GIMP 2.10 Look Like Photoshop
With the latest variations of GIMP, you possibly can merely use software program referred to as PhotoGIMP. Sure, it’s a mix of Photoshop and GIMP – cross-platform software program that may simplify GIMP options for newbies. It provides GIMP a extra Photoshop-like look that can assist you get used to the brand new program.
Observe the directions under to arrange this software program on macOS and Home windows.
- Go to this web site and obtain the .zip file by clicking on “View code.”
- Go to your “Downloads” folder and make the hidden recordsdata seen (those you want will likely be hidden). Additionally, observe that “unhiding” the folders solely refers to macOS computer systems.
- Open the unzipped folder and find the “.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/config/GIMP/” file. On the identical time, open the Finder window and find the “~Library/Application Support/Gimp” file.
- Discover the two.10 folder and replica it to a different folder, simply so you possibly can have a backup in case you want it once more.
- Substitute the unique 2.10 folder with the one you’ve simply downloaded and unzipped.
- Whenever you launch GIMP, you’ll see a brand new interface that resembles Photoshop.
The steps are just about the identical for each macOS and Home windows computer systems. The one distinction is that on Home windows, you’re going to put the brand new 2.10 folder on this location: “C:UsersYourUsernameAppDataRoamingGIMP”.
If you happen to’re a Linux person, comply with the steps under.
- Go to the identical web page we’ve talked about within the earlier set of directions and obtain the .zip file. Unzip it and swap the toggle to see the hidden recordsdata.
- Choose the next recordsdata: “.icon”, “.var”, and “.local” and transfer them to “/home/$USER”. Whenever you’re requested if you wish to merge and exchange the recordsdata, click on “Yes.”
- Now it’s time to relaunch GIMP. Chances are you’ll have to signal out of your account first, and while you enter this system once more, you’ll see the brand new PhotoGIMP interface.
If you wish to know extra about GIMP and Photoshop and you may’t discover all of the solutions above, take a look at the FAQs part under.
Why Use a GIMP Photoshop Theme?
GIMP could also be a greater answer for many who work on laptops. It’s additionally free, in comparison with the paid Adobe Photoshop program. GIMP additionally means that you can modify the software program and eliminates pointless instruments chances are you’ll by no means use.
How Do I Change the Look of GIMP?
To vary the look of GIMP and add extra Photoshop options, comply with the directions from the sections above. Select the steps to take primarily based on the OS your pc is operating. You’ll be able to change particular person components or set up the PhotoGIMP theme.
Find out how to Transfer a Device in GIMP?
The “Move” device is activated routinely in some circumstances, comparable to while you create a information. You can even click on on its icon or press “M” in your keyboard to pick out it.
Does GIMP Work Like Photoshop?
Initially, no, however you may make it look and work like Photoshop by altering its configuration recordsdata.
Get pleasure from Your Photoshop and GIMP Combine
GIMP is a superb various for Photoshop. Chances are you’ll be seeking to strive one thing new, however in case you don’t have a lot time to spend on studying a totally new interface, you possibly can simply add Photoshop options to GIMP and benefit from the good, outdated instruments you’re used to with the advantages that include GIMP.
Have you ever already tried GIMP? Which one in every of these applications is your favourite? Tell us within the feedback part under.