It is a sub-page of .
The “Test Drive” demo is the earliest public demo of Crash Workforce Racing, distributed on two completely different platforms: a demo disc given out by to clients after they purchased the Stuffed Crust Pizza, and launched as a standalone demo disc in shops. It options three race tracks, each playable in response to the variety of gamers.
The demo was constructed round June third, 1999, three months and a half earlier than the ultimate NTSC launch model.
- The startup screens use static photos. There isn’t a music, narration and even the Naughty Canine field display.
- A really fundamental menu is accessible, permitting you to decide on between 1P, 2P, and 4P choices. You may entry Papu’s Pyramid by selecting , Dingo Canyon by selecting , and Blizzard Bluff by selecting .
- There isn’t a strategy to choose a personality. Crash can be all the time the first participant, Cortex the 2nd participant, Tiny Tiger the third participant, and Coco the 4th participant.
- The participant can soar a lot greater, making the shortcuts of Papu’s Pyramid and Blizzard Bluff a lot simpler to do.
- At this level in improvement, the voice recording periods have not began but, so there is no such thing as a voice performing all through the gameplay.
- The race intro jingle may be very completely different.
- Skipping the race intro will swap between minimap and speedometer.
- The lap counter is separated by a hyphen, whereas within the last recreation, it is separated by a slash.
- The lap time is registered as soon as the lap is completed, whereas within the last recreation the participant can see the time of every lap in actual time.
- There isn’t a checkpoint sound impact after crossing the end line on every lap.
- There isn’t a CTR begin banner within the tracks.
- The pause menu does not have greenish outlines. The Paused textual content additionally makes use of the small font.
- The display goes darkish as an alternative of turning black and white throughout the pause display.
- Aku Aku’s mannequin is exposing his enamel, identical to his earlier in-game apparitions.
- Uka Uka’s mannequin was taken from his in-game mannequin used within the last battle of Crash Bandicoot: Warped.
- There isn’t a checkered flag transition when restarting a race. As an alternative, the race resets immediately.
- The Ultimate Lap! warning and jingle are absent. The music additionally does not pace up within the final lap.
- The Mistaken Means! warning is lacking an exclamation mark and is positioned off-center.
- There is just one kind of engine sound.
- The powerslide bar is lacking from the minimap.
- If CPU racers hit a Nitro, their icon will flash inexperienced as an alternative of purple.
- The race intro fly-in does not present the identify of the monitor and the sport mode.
- The beginning lights format are completely different, intently resembling the design used on Freeway ranges in .
- The speedometer has a really completely different design.
- Character icons are in a somewhat primitive state: Crash and Polar’s icons had been completely redrawn. Tiny Tiger makes use of a much less detailed model of his boss portrait from . Coco makes use of a really comparable model of her Warp Room portrait from . N. Gin’s missile was modified from gray to yellow and has a barely completely different texture beneath his bionic eye.
- In 1P mode, the participant and CPU racers all the time begin at “random” positions, altering each time a race is chosen or restarted. Within the last recreation, the participant all the time begin in first place in Arcade mode – with CPU racers sorted in response to the character choice menu.
- There isn’t a exhaust fuel popping out of CPU karts.
- The weapon fireplace operate can be mapped to the R2 button, along with the circle button. Due to this, there is no such thing as a backward view.
- The merchandise roulette has a special sound impact, just like video games.
- You may lose a Wumpa fruit by touching an opponent.
- CPU racers cannot gather Wumpa fruits on the street.
- Utilizing a Turbo immediately behind an opponent will not squash them.
- Hitting a Beaker will not flash the display. Scrapes of glass will fly off as an alternative.
- Uka Uka makes use of Aku Aku’s voice impact as placeholder.
- Activating one other masks power-up whereas the present one is nearly disappearing will make them reappear with out the rainbow impact.
- Hitting a TNT whereas spinning or crushed will not immediately blow it up within the participant’s head.
- The purple beaker may cause seven completely different results to the participant by default:
- Randomizes merchandise till the stormy cloud is gone
- Unable to select power-ups till the stormy cloud is gone ()
- Make the kart slippery
- Make the kart unable to hop
- Shake the kart + decelerate
- Shake the kart if it hops + slown down
- Drain Wumpa fruits ()
Within the last recreation, the standing results aren’t completely random: if the participant is not holding any merchandise, shake the kart + slown down and shake the kart if it hops + slown down results are used. If the participant is holding any merchandise, randomizes merchandise till the stormy cloud is gone impact is used. The remainder of the consequences may be solely actived if the participant hits one other purple beaker whereas the present impact remains to be being performed.
- Crashing whereas being crushed will make the kart flip with the crushed animation. Within the last recreation, the kart routinely returns to regular state throughout the flip.
- The race HUD stays on-screen after the race ends. The one strategy to depart the race is by utilizing the pause menu or urgent Choose.
- The digital camera rotates across the character after the race ends.
- There are not any victory or lose fanfares. The monitor music retains taking part in after the race ends.
- Multiplayer modes initially had fly-in intros. They’re solely current in single participant modes within the last recreation.
- The beginning place of the characters in 2P mode is completely different. It options 3 characters within the first row and three within the second, not like the ultimate recreation which is 4 within the first row, and a pair of in the second.
- Excessive poly fashions are utilized in 2P mode when the digital camera will get near a participant.
- The powerslide bar shouldn’t be current beneath the lap counters.
- The character icons are a lot larger.
- The “Lap” string is current in 4P mode.
- The Wumpa crate earlier than the primary man-eating plant is lacking.
- The wall was shorter, making the shortcut rather more accessible.
- Armadillos hazards aren’t current in multiplayer.
- Fences are lacking.
- Ice surfaces use a light-blue texture.
Enter Title Display
- The Enter Title display is in a somewhat primitive state. The works like a pause menu, the texts and letters are utilizing the small font, the choice is known as as an alternative, and an uncommon message is displayed on the prime: . The background field may be very fundamental, with a special dimension, and missing the inexperienced define.
- Deciding on both or will not do something. When you enter this display, the sport will softlock.
- The “invalid key” sound impact is completely different.
Different recreation modes are hidden within the demo, however inaccessible. Relic Race, CTR Problem, and Crystal Problem did not exist at this level.
- Numbers would signify the participant icons on the minimap, as an alternative of blinking balls. P1 is zero, P2 is one, and P3 is 2. If a Warp Ball is spawned, its quantity comes after the final driver on the map, which might usually be 4.
- You may toggle the minimap by urgent Triangle, identical to in 1 participant mode.
- The participant all the time spawns at completely different positions, though there are not any opponents.
- Wumpa fruits may be collected, as they’re current within the street or inside Wumpa crates. Within the last recreation, Time Trial does not enable the participant to gather something.
- If all gamers end a race apart from one, the race will not routinely finish for the final one.
- HUD is invisible.
- There isn’t a strategy to win or lose.
Three power-ups are current throughout the recordsdata however cannot be accessed by way of regular means. Considered one of them is the scrapped Spring power-up, which nonetheless exists within the last recreation, however lacks a correct icon. Invisibility and Tremendous Engine did not exist but at this level in improvement.
The eliminated Spring merchandise that also has its personal icon on the disc. Apparently, it appears this was eliminated late in manufacturing, as a result of a more recent model of the icon exists within the recreation. This merchandise can be utilized, each within the last recreation and within the demo, by utilizing GameShark codes.
D01F6974 000F 801F6974 0005
- The Energy Defend lacks any animations or sound results and has a lighter tone of inexperienced and blue.
- It is nonetheless utilizing the colorless early icon.
- Should you throw it into an merchandise field, it will not provide you with a power-up.
- It will not disappear when you exit of bounds or contact one other participant.
N. Tropy Clock
- It lacks the blur impact on-screen and the sound impact.
- The consequences brought about to the opponents are weaker.
Within the demo disc, there are two placeholder audio clips. One is of a person saying “Let’s Go” whereas doing an impersonation of Coco, who would later go on to have this line within the last recreation. The opposite is identical man saying “yeah” with an accent, although it is unknown what character this might’ve been used for.
Ultimate Lap Jingle
It is believed this jingle was meant to be an early variant of the Ultimate Lap fanfare.
Alternate Intro Jingles
The demo makes use of an early model of the beginning race jingle. Nonetheless, different three variants are current within the recordsdata however not used within the demo.
Variation 4 (Identical as the primary one however decrease)
Ripper Roo, Papu Papu, Komodo Joe, Pinstripe, and N. Tropy exist within the demo. By way of hacking, it is doable to entry them and discover some fascinating stuff.
- Character icons are in a somewhat primitive state: N. Tropy’s head and face expressions had been slighly modified. Ripper Roo re-uses the textures of his boss portrait from . Papu Papu, Pinstripe, and Komodo Joe re-use the boss portraits from their earlier debuts.
- Komodo Joe and N. Tropy use a darkish blue kart.
- Penta Penguin, Faux Crash, and N. Oxide are absent.
Numerous leftover strings from the sport menus are current within the demo.
These are the principle menu strings. Be aware that Arcade mode was initially referred to as . Additionally, it says as an alternative of .
Choose Character Crash Cortex Tiny Coco Ngin Dingo Polar Pura Pinstripe Papu Roo Joe NTropy
Character choice display. It lacks Penta Penguin and Faux Crash. Apparently, the identical record can be utilized to the character choose display for Journey mode (Scr_CharSelect3D). The character string names have brief abbreviations used as placeholders.
Select A Degree Proto8 Proto9 Desert2 Island1 Temple1 Temple2 Tube1 Blimp1 Sewer1 Cave1 Castle1 Labs1 Ice1 SpacE Asphalt1 Asphalt2 Secret1 Secret2
Degree choice display. Tracks are sorted by ID and lack a correct identify. The title says as an alternative of .
Choose Degree For Battle Battle1 Battle2 Battle3 Battle4 Battle5 Battle6 Battle7
Degree choice for Battle mode, additionally utilizing placeholder names. The title says as an alternative of simply .
LAPS PER RACE 127 LAPS PER RACE 4 LAPS PER RACE 3 LAPS PER RACE 1
The lap choice was once very completely different. The max lap was 127, in all probability used for testing.
START RACE RESET POSITIONS SAVE GHOST LOAD GHOST RECORD GHOST PLAYBACK GHOST
The demo comprises all stage themes from that time within the recordsdata.
- Cortex Citadel, N. Gin Labs, Sizzling Air Skyway, Oxide Station, Slide Coliseum, Turbo Observe and Nitro Courtroom use Dingo Canyon’s theme as placeholder.
- The remainder of the battle arenas do not have a music tied to them.
- There are not any menu or Journey areas theme songs.