Bookmarks (or favorites, as they’re recognized in Web Explorer) are very helpful in serving to maintain monitor of internet sites we need to revisit sooner or later, for one purpose or one other. The difficulty with bookmarks is commonly folks have so many bookmarks, it’s laborious to handle all of them. So a program that removes lifeless bookmarks (bookmarks for web sites or pages that now not work) and removes duplicate bookmarks (a number of bookmarks of the identical web page) is a vital software to have. AM-DeadLink is one such software.
WHAT IS IT AND WHAT DOES IT DO
AM-DeadLink identifies lifeless and/or duplicate bookmarks for Web Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and Opera, permitting you to delete them.
- Identifies lifeless bookmarks
- Identifies duplicate bookmarks
- Notice: AM-DeadLink will establish duplicate bookmarks which are of the identical web page and URL. Two bookmarks which are of the identical web site however of various pages or URLs usually are not thought of to be duplicates.
- Helps Web Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and Opera
- Notice: AM-DeadLink doesn’t explicitly help moveable variations of browsers however you possibly can modify it to work with moveable variations by going to Choices -> Settings -> Bookmark recordsdata and pointing AM-DeadLink to the folder the place your moveable browser is.
- Permits you to delete (or edit) lifeless and duplicate bookmarks for Web Explorer, Chrome, and Opera proper from inside AM-DeadLink; deleted bookmarks are then routinely saved to the respective browser when you hit the ‘Save’ button — there isn’t any import/export required
- Has the flexibility to examine for lifeless/duplicate bookmarks saved in HTML, URL, comma-separated TXT, and tab-delimited TXT recordsdata.
- Notice: Though AM-DeadLink doesn’t help much less widespread browsers, AM-DeadLink will work with much less widespread browsers in the event you use this function of checking bookmarks saved in HTML, URL, comma-separated TXT, and tab-delimited TXT recordsdata — merely have your browser export to the supported format and use AM-DeadLink on that file.
- Bookmarks could be opened (previewed) utilizing AM-DeadLink’s built-in browser or you possibly can set AM-DeadLink to open bookmarks in a daily browser as a substitute
- Has a built-in fundamental search software
- Can export bookmarks comma-separated or tab-delimited TXT
- Is moveable
- Will establish lifeless/duplicate Firefox bookmarks, however can not instantly delete Firefox bookmarks. You both have to manually delete bookmarks from inside Firefox itself or you should use a workaround (learn the ‘Discussion’ part beneath for information on the workaround).
- Transportable model is just not a separate obtain. It’s a kind of packages that you will need to choose to make use of the moveable model throughout set up, which I discover to be annoying.
AM-DeadLink is a really easy-to-use program that means that you can delete lifeless or duplicate bookmarks. It really works with the put in variations of Web Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and Opera however you possibly can configure it to work with the moveable variations of Firefox, Chrome, and Opera by pointing AM-DeadLink to the folder through which your moveable browsers reside through Choices -> Settings -> Bookmark recordsdata.
The perfect half about AM-DeadLink is it means that you can delete lifeless or duplicate Web Explorer, Chrome, and Opera bookmarks proper from throughout the program, with none import/export required. While you run AM-DeadLink, merely choose the browser who’s bookmarks you need to examine after which hit the ‘Check Bookmarks’ or ‘Find duplicates’ button.
‘Check Bookmarks’ checks ten bookmarks at a time to search out lifeless bookmarks, so you probably have a whole lot of bookmarks it might take a couple of minutes to examine all of them. As soon as all bookmarks are checked, hit the ‘Sort Bookmarks with errors to the top of the list’ and all bookmarks that didn’t load correctly are proven to you in crimson. To delete the bookmarks with errors, merely spotlight it and right-click -> Delete or press the ‘Delete’ key in your keyboard. You may delete a number of bookmarks directly by Shift + left-clicking to spotlight a number of bookmarks directly.
AM-DeadLink tells you what kind of error it bumped into when checking a bookmark and means that you can open bookmarks, so you possibly can manually double-check to verify a bookmark is definitely lifeless earlier than deleting it (if you wish to). It’s protected to delete just about all bookmarks which have errors aside from the bookmarks that come again with “401 authentication failure” errors; a “401 authentication failure” doesn’t essentially imply a bookmark is lifeless however somewhat that it’s a web page that requires a username and password and as such AM-DeadLink was unable to entry it. You in all probability don’t need to delete bookmarks with “401 authentication failure” errors.
‘Find duplicates’ lists for you all of the duplicate bookmarks you will have for the browser you’re checking. Discovering duplicates is immediate and doesn’t take any ready as a result of it doesn’t require AM-DeadLink to make connections to outdoors web sites. Nor does discovering duplicates require you to kind something — you’re merely proven all of the duplicates. After (if) duplicates are discovered, you will have the flexibility to delete no matter duplicates you need in the identical method as described for lifeless bookmarks — spotlight and right-click -> Delete or urgent the ‘Delete’ key in your keyboard.
Take word when in search of duplicates, a number of the duplicates discovered could also be duplicates however they’re duplicates in numerous bookmark areas. For instance, I’ve the identical bookmark in Firefox’s basic bookmarks and on Firefox’s bookmarks toolbar. AM-DeadLink exhibits them as duplicates however they’re intentional duplicates (that is how I prefer it to be), so I don’t need to delete them. Chances are you’ll be in the identical state of affairs.
Be sure you hit the ‘Save’ button after deleting lifeless and/or duplicate bookmarks, in any other case AM-DeadLink is not going to save the modifications within the respective browser (i.e. gained’t delete the bookmarks you deleted).
The most important disadvantage in AM-DeadLink is for individuals who use Firefox. Sadly for Firefox customers, AM-DeadLink is ready to learn however not delete Firefox bookmarks. This implies AM-DeadLink can and can discover lifeless/duplicate Firefox bookmarks… however it doesn’t will let you delete bookmarks instantly from inside AM-DeadLink. Relatively, as soon as AM-DeadLink tells you which ones bookmarks are lifeless/duplicates, it is advisable go into Firefox’s bookmarks supervisor and manually delete the bookmarks from there.
Why does AM-DeadLink not will let you delete Firefox bookmarks from throughout the program? The developer says it’s as a result of “this restriction is required to avoid possible conflicts with the Firefox bookmark database (or also future changes to the Firefox bookmark database)”. Regardless of the purpose could also be, it’s straightforward to see how this can be a deal-breaker for Firefox customers — it’s bloody annoying having to manually delete bookmarks from inside Firefox versus deleting them from inside AM-DeadLink. Fortunately, there’s a workaround in the event you use Firefox.
The workaround is exporting Firefox bookmarks to HTML, utilizing AM-DeadLink on that HTML file, saving modifications made to the HTML file, after which importing the HTML file again into Firefox. This can be a bit cumbersome however it works in the event you use Firefox. Do take word, nevertheless, in the event you use this workaround then it is advisable be sure to delete all Firefox bookmarks from inside Firefox after you export; in the event you don’t delete all of them from inside Firefox after export, you’ll have duplicates once you import the HTML file later as a result of Firefox merely imports bookmarks — it doesn’t exchange current ones. In case you go this route, you should definitely create a backup of Firefox bookmarks in case one thing goes fallacious.
CONCLUSION AND DOWNLOAD LINK
The conclusion here’s a no-brainier in the event you use Web Explorer, Chrome, or Opera: AM-DeadLink is a wonderful software for figuring out and deleting lifeless or duplicate bookmarks and favorites. Firefox customers have a bit tougher choice to make as a consequence of the truth that AM-DeadLink can not instantly delete Firefox bookmarks, and I’ll let Firefox customers resolve if they’re OK with utilizing the above-mentioned workaround or not. General, nevertheless, AM-DeadLink is very beneficial by dotTech.
Model reviewed: 4.6
Supported OS: Home windows 2000 and better
Obtain measurement: 1.9 MB
VirusTotal malware scan outcomes: 0/46
Is it moveable? Sure